Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Temporarily Back in Durango

I am currently back in Durango for the day to vote, resupply, apply for some jobs for the winter and kick it with friends. Yes I know that sounds very grown up but fear not I'll be returning to the desert as soon as all of this nonsense is concluded (hopefully by tomorrow morning).

For the most part life in the desert has been awesome and I have little to report besides lots of climbing, ruckusing (yes you can use ruckus as a verb) and general life enjoyment. For those of you wondering what there is to do in the desert besides climb I'll give ya a brief overview of life in camp. Basically I wake up grind some fresh coffee, then drink it with a wholesome or not so wholesome breakfast, then I'll wander over to our designated axe throwing area and warm up with some simple tosses. I'll often then meander over and chat with my other camp mates (Justin A.K.A. T-Rex, Hannah A.K.A. F Dubbs, Rafael A.K.A. Sergio and Diana A.K.A. Mo)  and see what they're up to and talk smack about any and all things. It's at this point we'll either break off and go climbing or begin resting. Resting is a complex thing as it entails remaining psyched on  climbing despite all the cool things to do around camp (like axe throwing). Sometimes we make sushi, pizza (of course in our wood fired pizza oven), sometimes we bang pots and pans to make the desert a less quiet place, sometimes bikes are ridden, sometimes we repair broken gear/clothes and have arts and crafts time, there's also lots of intellectual stimulation between reading, bolting lessons and the endless and pointless debates on climbing ethics.

Hmm well in other news I am one tower away from climbing a series of towers near to camp (to climb all of them is a goal for the season), so that's exciting. I've also been putting up a few new routes, also delightfully engaging.

Is there anyone still reading this and if so what would you like to hear about? Comments/feedback are certainly appreciated!

View from home

Just a little trundling/rock throwing

Most recent desert tower experience

celebration on the Bridger Jack Butte

The Bridger Jack Towers

Until next time; look good, have fun and be safe!

1 comment:

  1. I am still reading and enjoying, but you don't post often enough!! I would like to read more and see more photos of your everyday life style. Living in the desert out of a van is not something that many of us have had the pleasure of experiencing. I for one am curious about the everyday mundane-how you cook, water sources, how you select your camp location, etc.

    I would also like to see more photos of the places you have climbed. - Uncle Andrew

    Post more "Sam Says" quotes - Aunt Rita

    ReplyDelete