Sunday, May 19, 2013

It's all about who you know, not what you know

I feel like networking has been a huge part of my so far short but sweet adult life. My mom has been harping on the importance and benefits of networking for longer than I can remember and certainly she's something of a master so I can safely say this post is all about what my mom has taught me and how it has made my lifestyle feasible.

Basically, I think that networking comes down to a few key components, being outgoing, following through and making a positive impression.

Obviously if you are not meeting people you're definitely not going to meet the right folks. A lot of the time that I've met folks that later turned in to great network assets it was completely by chance, running in to them at a campground, sitting next to them on a flight etc. While context can help with finding folks to network with eg work, climbing (read: your favored outdoor activity), the local gym etc. So ya, meet new people, which seems to be a good idea even outside of the concept of networking.

Follow through is clutch, if/when people make offers it's hard to take them up on those offers if you fail to stay in touch or feel like you're imposing too much. That being said it's certainly important not to impose or push too hard since that can turn people off, develop a bad rep (which could certainly inhibit future networking opportunities) and expose you for a dirtbag or something similar. This is pretty much a line you have to draw for yourself and may require some trial and error but I've found it is easier to err on the side of caution and be polite and try and cut visits shorter rather than longer.

Positive impression is good but the other two suggestions should be more of a priority with this being something you just do. Being nice hopefully isn't too strenuous as well as being considerate of folk's different backgrounds and being sensitive to those. That being said some people are just better at this than others, so be aware of what you can improve on.

A last tip that isn't required but I'd definitely suggest is simply pay it forward, if you help folks out they're more inclined to help you or introduce you to networks that can help you. To be cliche and redundant relationships are a two way street or rather that's what I've heard successful relationships are.

Any other tips and tricks you guys have found to be helpful?

No comments:

Post a Comment