Friday, April 11, 2014

The Art of Choosing a New Van.

The Art of Choosing a New Van...or Home on wheels.

Oh man this winter has brought nearly endless day dreams and discussions with fellow dirtbags and van livers. Diagrams have taken care of a number of trees (of course they were all drawn on pre-used paper) while pondering new setups, alterations, ways to maximize storage as well as figuring the finances of buying a new van, building it up, making necessary repairs etc.

After months of planning and figuring out what kind of van would be the next in my fleet, as well as combing through Craigslist emailing and texting folks about vans and after spending a month traveling all over the place drooling over vans with rims and spoilers, vans of the perfect dimensions and vans already built up to live in I returned to Glenwood ready to upgrade. After spending another week chasing leads and trying to fix the old van and with a climbing trip looming I knew not to let desperations get to me.  So one day while perusing what Craigslist had to offer Taryn walked up just as I saw this crazy looking van slathered with bumper stickers and half joking I showed her the monstrosity I’d found.

Long story short, one blown water pump, giving in to my desire to spend a week and a half climbing rather than dawdling around Glenwood and a little price talk down I found myself in a new van with exception headroom, a comfy bed and insanely poor fuel efficiency out in the desert, needless to say psyche was high. However, now that I’m in the process of moving in, rearranging and redesigning I guess I more fully understand the saying about battle plans being great until the battle begins. So now I have scrapped all the previous plans and am working with what I have, while also thinking about the van I really want.

 So now I’m challenged with the task of building up the new van in such a way that I might (if I can find an even better van) easily transfer and reuse the get up for the ultimate van build up. That’s not to mention the hours spent cleaning the van with pounds of dust, hair, dog food and trash removed to give it the ol’ livable feel.

Here is what I am working with, let me introduce Sabrina the Frankenvan.



Luckily for me the game of Mooseballs got thrown in as a bonus.
Photo by Taryn Pearce.




1 comment: