Friday, July 5, 2013

New Craggin'

So this will be a brief update as my life continues to be largely dominated by work.

However, when I have had time off of work or before going in to work I've spent much of it on Independence Pass, a mountain pass just outside of Aspen, CO that is stacked with alpine granite. I was lucky enough to be tipped off on an untouched chuck of rock that is/was prime for development by a local sales rep. Over the past month I have established several slab climbs, a sport climb and a half (that still need to be finished/climbed) and a few trad climbs with the help of several of my co-workers. Yesterday was one of the most productive days up there as I got to climb with a friend and we established two new trad climbs (one of which being his first first ascent) and got to top rope a number of the slabs and I got to work on the finished sport climb that I think will clock in in the 5.12 range. Needless to say stoke is high.

If any of you reading this are climbers and are psyched to donate hardware or a Bosch cordless hammer drill you're welcome to get in contact!

If anyone has any route name suggestions or crag names feel free to give me a shout as I have not yet decided on anything.

Here are a couple of pictures of the crag and various phases of it being developed.
The upper crag

5 minutes to drill a hole and place a bolt.

5.9+ hand crack.

1 hour to drill a hole and place a bolt haha.

5.8 wide crack

No comments:

Post a Comment