Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pre-funemployment update

Alrighty here goes another update, is this rapid fire overwhelming? If so feel free to pace yourself as who knows when the next update is coming.

So, since my last update back in July I think some things have happened I will regurgitate some of them and have forgotten some of them so take this all with a grain of salt.

July was not super exciting so no worries there, there was occasional mountain bike rides (perhaps 3-4), free days were spent bolting new routes up on Independence Pass or equipping routes at Gold Butte with new hardware courtesy of the ASCA. When I was not doing any of the above I was working at the Ute (gear shop) or at Colorado Mountain College with the Extreme Sports Camp or various other groups that were psyched on getting out on the challenge course. There was very little down time which was something of a double edged sword but certainly made the month go by quickly.

August was marked by a surprise early return of my girlfriend which was needless to say delightful. Then my Grandma Mary passed away which was not so delightful. I was also working, bolting, climbing, mountain biking, tubing and going on other grand adventures before, during and after these other things. I was able to make my second attempt on a fourteener, this time shooting for Capitol with Taryn. Instead of looking at maps, making detailed plans and preparing super thoroughly I chose instead to put on my adventure pants and listen to my heart. As a result we narrowly missed the correct trail head and took another trail that sent us in the wrong direction leading to a ~16 mile scenic hike with great views of Capitol Peak as well as some alpine lakes and the Roaring Fork valley. I was also able to return to Rifle for some sportz climbing for the first time in a few months which was still humbling and awesome.

This month Nathan (my neighbor that I've been developing the new crag with) and I have finished development on the new crag (read: we ran out of bolts) and I have begun preparing for funemployment. Preparations include: picking up extra shifts (not sure why though), day dreaming about not being at work, day dreaming about the desert, stocking up on gear, fine tuning the van and getting my adventure pants ready. Sure I've been getting out mountain biking for some 20-30 mile rides and squeezing some climbing in before going into work so life's not all anguish and misery. Oh ya I said I'd do a little bragging about my mad skillz which is to say that I'm pscyhed to say that I've sent my hardest sport route to date a few weeks ago, which is clocking in at maybe 5.12 something, it's hard to say as it's a first ascent and there have not been many repeats to confirm the grade but maybe hard 5.12 who knows?

Here are a few pictures, I apologize for the lacking number as I seem to forget to take the camera out on all of the adventures I have.
A sunrise that was not fully captured by the camera

One of many fantastic views of Capitol Peak

Looking over the Roaring Fork Valley

The 'Well lets just go up there and turn around' spot.

Anaerobic Nightmare indeed. 

Aww, some nice flowers in September to greet the end of a rather long ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment