Tuesday, March 26, 2013

March adventures

This past month I've gotten to meet new friends, climb in new areas, climb with old friends and left one job with prospects of another after a break from work for climbing.

The first week of March I joined the FLC climbing club on a trip to Red Rocks, NV. This is a climbing area outside of Las Vegas with routes over a 1000' long with plenty of easy, moderate and difficult ones. The trip was largely uneventful as I ended up getting snowed out after only four days of climbing, though it was great to cruise up some easy and moderate routes as well as go for some rad hikes, see some wild burros and test out the new solar get up I got for the van this winter.

After leaving Las Vegas and taking a detour that tacked on an extra seven hours of driving through some blizzardy conditions I returned to Durango to resupply and get ready to move out to the desert (Indian Creek). I toodled on out there and have spent the last few weeks out there climbing with new friends and weekend warriors. I've been pretty psyched so far to have onsighted more than a few 5.11+ - 5.12 routes, seems like the muscle memory is still kicking and my climbing fitness that deteriorated over the winter is making a come back. Another highlight was the release of the new Indian Creek guide book that has several routes that I have established, it's official the word 'schloob' has been published.
First sunset back in the Creek with the N. Six Shooter

Summit of the S. Six Shooter

View from the Colorado River Overlook in Canyonlands

Oh dang.

Spencer with his favorite Joshua Tree

The start of the snowy driving, accompanied with some rather delightful views

Some wild burros that we tamed and rode back to camp

Almost to the climbs for the day!

I'm currently back in Durango as a result of a spontaneous decision to take a rest day...or three here. I'll be heading back, looking forward to a creekster celebration with a large group from Durango and the greater southwest area this weekend. I'm also pretty psyched to meet up with my buddy Kevin to work on Bellyful of Bad Berries, an overhung crack that I tried a few years ago and has been on my todo list since. Here's a link for those that are unfamiliar with this rather iconic climb.

Quick edit: Just had a sneek peek at my friend Spoon's film The Current and if any of you folks are in Durango around April 10th you should definitely consider checking out the premier of the movie! More details and a trailer and other info are HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment